Thursday, June 16, 2011

miracles around us?

Miracles are things that I have heard of in reading my Bible and in testimonials of other Christians, but never had occurred to anyone close to me. It was not up until here recently that I finally realized for myself just how much God controls and I got to witness a miracle within my own family!

Many reading this would remember a time when all of my "facebook" status' read something about my 16 year old cousin who went into Cardiac arrest while playing soccer. But not many would know that she was literally dead for at least 3 min. or that she should not even be alive today, and that she should have some kind of damage to the brain but does not. In fact the doctors that worked on her would tell you today that it truly is a miracle that she is alive! One that I am thankful for!
I went shopping with her the other day ( this was the first time that I had seen her since the incident)
and she was exactly the same as she was before. The same smiling beautiful young vibrant person she has always been and I was reminded that it was only by God's grace that she lives today!

After receiving the news about Kayla having her heart attack and the fact that she was unconscious and they were having a hard time getting her heart started again, fear struck my entire family. My sister started crying almost instantly fortunately Caleb ( her boyfriend) was there to take my place in comforting her freeing me to grab the three little ones and huddle together in a tight circle and pray for her, as my parents rush around to get out the door and to the hospital.

I also remember breaking away a little later and falling to my knees in my bedroom, and in the quiet I admitted to God that He was in control and pleaded with Him to spare Kayla. Words cannot express the fear that goes through you when a tragedy hits so close to home as that.
I was so afraid, we all were!

But it always seems that when something bad happens to me that God always points me to a passage that I need, one that gives me direction and comforts me. This time would be no different. I can remember getting up the next day and turning to Psalm 24. I have been studying the Psalms verse by verse trying to learn more about God and writing each new thing I learn about Him down.
So as I opened up my Bible and began reading I finally learned what it was that God was trying to teach me in this difficult time with my cousin.

Psalm 24:1 reads "The earth is the LORD's, and everything in it,
the world, and all who live in it;

According to this passage God owns ALL people! Saved or unsaved He owns them all and He can do whatever He sees fit with each one.
What happened to Kayla was totally out of my control. In fact it was out of everyone's control but God's. Through this tragedy I was shown that I do not control everything and this in turn caused me to realize just who is in control and caused me to lean more upon Him.

Also at camp I was reminded by a sermon that God can do as He pleases but also that what He does allow to happen to me is for my good. Sometimes in the midst of a storm we are blinded by the rain as to how this storm could possibly be good for us.
I know now when looking back that Kayla's incident was to bring me to a knowledge that I cannot control everything nor do I need to. God truly knows what is best!

" God has the right to crack the vessel when cracking it is the fastest way to share with the world what He has poured into it"- Romans 8:28 This was the statement that was in the sermon that I heard at camp and was such an eye opener for me as to why God did what He did in allowing my cousin to have the heart attack.

Something else that I realized was the fact that miracles happen everyday! Witnessing a miracle so close to home opened my eyes and got me thinking about miracles. And literally a miracle is defined simply as "an act of God" And when I really began to think about it I realized that I was so busy looking for the HUGE miracles ( like my cousins life being spared) that I missed the small ones around me. Like the fact that I wake up everyday, and have food on the table, and have spiritual food to sustain me. I could never accomplish or have anything on my own, thus these are all "acts of God" and they happen everyday!

God's mighty POWER has been displayed through out the Bible in BIG ways like parting the red sea or healing people or even bringing them back to life and in the small such as providing some refreshment to a house full of people celebrating the marriage of two people ( water to wine).
He performs miracles everyday.

Do you see them? Do you thank Him? Everyday we should fall on our knees in awe of the miracle of sending HIS only son to save the Human race. We did nothing to deserve that, we are rotten sinners, nothing worth looking at let alone saving, we deserved to die and live in eternal separation from God and yet He provided the only true salvation through the sacrifice and resurrection of His only Son Jesus Christ. Miracles are happening everyday whether we realize them or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment