Thursday, June 9, 2011

Prodigal daughter

Luke 15 is a passage of scripture that never fails to bring tears to my eyes!
Whenever I read it I am reminded of the time when I, like the prodigal left not only my heavenly Father but my earthly parents as well! It was a year ago today that I ended a relationship with a young man. This day therefore forever marks a day of independance for me and a freeing from an idol. And all because God pursues the sinner!
This relationship with the young man had cause me to drift away from my parents, and more importantly from my Heavenly Father. And in a sense I myself changed and became a different person.

A common question frequently asked by my dad during that time would be " where is our Bethy?" Or " you have changed and not for the better."
I esp. hated these questions and statements at the time cause i did not want to admit that i had allowed myself to change! All they cared about was getting me back, and all i wanted was to get away!

My parents like the prodigals sons' Father are here to protect and shelter me,
instead i ran out from under their umbrella, wanting to be free. Instead i was greeted by a cold
rain and no protection from it. And i know in that time i caused them great grief and pain! And to those of you who think that " to have your own way" or to "be free from parents and authority" would be just the best thing to ever happen to you, I can tell you that i have been there and it is def. not worth it to go that road. Yeah like the prodigal it might be fun for a while but eventually the rain comes and there will be no umbrella above your head to protect you! This just goes as a warning, don't go that road! It is a LONG road to get back where you started from and some of the damages caused cannot be changed!

When i finally did come back to my parents odd thing as it sounds they welcomed me, though i did not deserve it, back into their arms! Twice now i have betrayed my parents and done my own thing and ultimately i betrayed my Father in heaven! But ALL have accepted me back with open arms!
I live with the guilt and consequences of this everyday! But my parents happy faces and genuine love to have me back always remind me that in their eyes i am forgiven and the reminder that God has also forgiven me is brought to mind everyday!!

Probably out of all my siblings regrettably i have caused the most pain to my parents and yet here they are still loving me and just happy to have their "Bethy" back!
As i read the parable of the lost son i am reminded of my redemption! And not only from my sins that are noticeable and huge, but also the daily sins. I am a "daily Prodigal" that Daily must be brought back to my Father in heaven.

So as you read the Prodigal son be thankful for your Father in Heaven who is able and does forgive sin! Though we sin against Him terribly He still stretches His arms wide and pours
His mercy daily on us all ( "For His mercies are new every morning")!
And be thankful to the LORD if you like me have had a wonderful example of Our forgiving heavenly Father lived out here on earth through your parents or the people around you! I am so thankful for the work of my Heavenly Father in this Prodigal Daughter of His!

The Parable of the Lost Son
11 Jesus continued: "There was a man who had two sons.

12 The younger one said to his father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them.

13 "Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living.

14 After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need.

15 So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs.

16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

17"When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death!

18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you.

19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.'

20 So he got up and went to his father.
"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

21" The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son."

22 "But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet.

23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate.

24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate.

I looked up the definition of the word "Prodigal" in the noun sense and it means: one who has returned after an absence! WOW! This sounds like not only something that I have done a few times but something that I know I do every time I sin thus everyday of my life!

1 comment:

  1. Bethany,

    Though we've had our bumps, I still appreciate your insight and candor. I enjoy reading your blog, about what the Lord is continuing to do in your life, and how very personal you make your relationship with Him. I still pray for you each day, and I pray you will continue to walk so closely beside Him as He guides you on each step of your path, of this summer, this year, and ultimately, of your life.

    Thomas

    ReplyDelete